Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Musical Relation



In the book, To Kill a Mockingbird, Jean Louise Finch(Scout) stresses in between a tomboy and a girl. She like to hang out with Jem and Dill. Playing with Jem and Dill is fun, and she often told to 'do not act like a girl' by Jem. "Scout I'm tellin' you for the last time, shut your trap or go home-i declare to the Lord you're gettin' more like a girl every day"(52). Because of that she always has to join them without any her own opinion. But later, when Aunt Alexandra comes to Finch Family and stay at their house for awhile, Aunt Alexandra tells Scout to behave more gently, wear dresses, and acts like a girl. Scout always gets to told what to do, even though she has her own opinion and her own characteristics. And the song, 'I'm just a girl' by no doubt also states about how she(Gwen Stefani) doesn't want to become what people tell her, but rather to be herself.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the connection with the song and Scout's unfortunate childhood. I also did my post on Scout and I related it to how she is told what to do and to be more lady like. I can see how Scout gets angry and sad that she is told what to do. I think people should start to understand her more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the song you picked to represent Scout, if fits her perfectly. I like that you put a quote from the book in, it makes it a lot more interesting. Saying that Jem always tells Scout to stop acting like a girl and then relating that to why Gwen Stefani could have written that song was a good idea!

    ReplyDelete